Monday 27 September 2010

Getting Keys & My First Night

Getting into that car was so hard. Heck, packing everything into the car was hard. I kept on telling myself to take one step at a time but still as we drew nearer to my university, I was so freaking nervous. I wanted the whole world to stop.
I bravely got out of the car and made my way to where the key collection place was. My heart was beating too fast, my adrenaline kicked in and my stomach in knots from last night’s Thai and today’s nervousness.
But I did it! I did it all - I got the keys, got the directions to the campus to the house and went shopping to tidy it up!
The place was musky and it smelt old. But the room itself could hold at least five people in it with a sink, closet, drawers and a computer table. I’m on the top floor, the attic, the loft, my own university room. It’s great but weird and I don’t really know how to react.
Inside my head I was thinking of ways to keep my parents with me but they left, all smiles and “we know you can do it” voices though I really doubted myself. I was so nervous that I hardly talked. Until the conversations about TV show and weird hospital tales came up. I was all talk then.
So my advice would be that if you feel like you can’t do it, like I did, just try.
The most you can ever do is try.

I’m actually glad that on my first night I was pretty tipsy. It took away all the anxiousness that I felt and was left with the feeling of “I need to get into bed.” Unfortunately for me I’m on the top floor and that means three flights of stairs.
I am going to have to remember that…
My room is dark and cold with a tiny radiator that doesn’t even do any justice to my room but I have loads of space. A horrible single bed that yes, I have nearly fallen out of twice because I’m so used to my double back at home. My sink is actually useful but the trip down the stairs to the bathroom is a trek. Oh, add onto that that the toilet is leaking and it’s silly since we have to share two toilets and one shower between six other people. It’s a good thing that I like my housemates.
I’ve seen the other house’s and they are not like ours. They’re more modern with better furniture – our sofa is the colour of bogey and severely broken – but this house is a proper house. It’s good for what it is. Especially with my housemates, this place will be a proper home in no time.




First Night Out
My first night out was different. I’m going to tell you from the start since it’s such a weird little story – well for me it was anyway.
I was very hung-over (but not to the point of being sick, thank Goodness) and I literally made myself get out of bed. I went downstairs, said hello to everyone – my new housemates, I was still getting used to how weird it was – I ate some but not loads since I didn’t think my stomach could handle it and then we all got changed and went shopping. My first ever shopping trip – to buy food that I have to cook myself, daunting or what!?
Thank goodness for my grandparents giving my money for such things as food.
When we got back, we ate, got changed had pre-drinks and then we went round to the other Unilet house round the corner for more pre-drinks.
Then the walk to my first ever night out!
The new housemates and neighbours asked questions all quite drunk while my stomach is churning and the thought of more drinks hurts.
Earlier on that day we tried to get my wristband, but the place was closed so it meant that the rest of my housemates/neighbours went through while I waited in the freezing cold. It wasn’t all bad. It only took me an hour to get to the front of the queue, even with some boys pushing in front and I met a couple of nice people too – the boys that pushed in and three girls who were very cold.
Want to know what the best part was?
Three people from the front I got a phone call saying that everyone was leaving. Imagine my surprise when I find out that the nightclub was quite rubbish and so from then we headed into town. We found a cheap bar that reminded me of one from home and then we ventured into Walkabout. Oh yes, we have a Walkabout! My town is crawling with bar, clubs, a karaoke bar, all night Subways and KFC’s.
Coming out of the club we got a subway, saw a fight and got in the cab. From there we walked up a creepy alleyway and then onto of that, watched my male housemates get a drawer out of the bushes, push it to our neighbours door playing knock down ginger with it. We didn’t go to bed ‘til MUCH later…

Good night all in all don’t you think?



Survival of a University Student =)

1 comment:

  1. Great write-up, I am a big believer in commenting on blogs to inform the blog writers know that they’ve added something worthwhile to the world wide web!..
    βοτανικος μπουζουκια

    ReplyDelete