Tuesday 21 September 2010

Leaving Your Mates Behind.

You could be like me and have serious second thoughts about going University for the pure fact that you're going to leave your mates behind.
Or, you could be like a lot of others and already have your bags packed raring to go.

It's a bloody difficult topic.
 
Case Study 1:
"Lucy could have gone to America to study. She had looked at different universities, extremely independent and was about to apply before the dreaded question popped into her head – apart from the obvious: how the heck am I going to afford this – am I ready to leave my life, family and mates behind?
(My first question would have been American boys but that's just me).
Long story short, Lucy's not going to America. She's going to study in London so she can be near her family and friends.”

And as much as this is a difficult topic I think it's fair to say that, there is no right or wrong answer. It's a personal choice. 


We've all heard the stories of our parent's friends and how they met their best friend at Uni.

Case Study 2:
“I love the example of Dave. One of the funniest people you will ever meet. When we were discussing universities he told me one of my favourite stories. He had walked in to his shared 'Unilet' house (more on that later) and was the first person there so he had a nosey around picked the best room before putting the kettle on and waited.
After introducing himself to three lovely girl house-mates they all sat in the kitchen drinking tea. But as much as Dave loved the thought of three girls to live with he wanted just one guy to walk through that door. Then a normal looking lad walked in. Dave thanked the heavens but the guy just said an un-enthusiastic “hi” and went in search for his room.
Dave swore under his breath thinking that he's going to have to put up with three girls and a douche-bag for four weeks before the accommodation office will let him move into halls. The douche-bag lad came down and poured himself a cup of tea.
The guy was his best man at his wedding. Apparently they bonded over tea.”
 
*
I know in my case I'm absolutely bricking it! The thought of ditching my mates - though I know I'll meet lots of new ones - scares me.
My chest caves in just a bit even as I type...

All the advice I could give is:
1. Keep telling yourself that you will see them again
2. You are going to make new friends
3. They're probably just as gutted at you leaving as you are
4. Try to spend as much time with them before you leave
5. Get them round to one of your nights out at university/ or travel down to them

Reassure yourself that it’s all a part of growing up as much as it’s about knowing that if they really are your true friends, they’ll keep in touch.



Survival of a University Student =)

No comments:

Post a Comment