Tuesday 12 October 2010

Banks


I went to Barclays back in July. With my dad, of all people.
It was both the best and worst thing I could do. He asked questions before asking me, "What do you want to do?"
“Well Dad I wanted to open a student account with Barclays but now I don't know…” he just gave me that look that seemed to say, ‘I don’t know about this’.
Great.
“You are in a position where you are on the right side of banks…” was what Dad kept on saying in my ear.
“Yes, Dad I know. I have been comparing the banks, I’m not stupid.”
The Barclays guy was really nice about it all and even let me compare on his computer. It was definitely Natwest. A free 5-year Railcard and a NUS card - that’s me sold!
Barclays offer laptop and mobile phone deals. I could get my Dad to buy me that…
Thanks but no thanks mister Barclays man we’re going to Natwest!

Sitting in that room with the Natwest woman and my Dad all looking at me as I had to decide what I wanted to do was more nerve wrecking than getting any exam results.
I wanted Dad to just tell me what I should do. I did ask him. Of course, Dad being Dad he just shrugged. So I said yes.
And then after Dad said, “that was for the best I think”.
Thanks Dad, you couldn’t have told me that before while I was sitting in that chair wanting to cry.

So this time my advice would be to do definitely be more than sure you’re making the right choice before you’re sitting in that chair being pressured into getting a deal that could be horrible.
It compares it all for you.
Again, the forums are great if you ask them.

But now that it’s over I can breathe a very large sigh of relief… I think I’m on the right side of Banks now.

However, saying that I wrote this ages ago and every time I went to post it – my bank would stuff up majorly.
I still haven’t been sent everything they were meant to send me two months ago.

Banks will never be easy going and smooth running (hello, we’re in a recession).
Just pester them until they give in…


Links:


Survival of a University Student =)

1 comment:

  1. I also went with Natwest when I started in 2004 and loved their generous overdraft increases year on year... though since I graduated 2 years ago I've struggled to get it down to 0... though have managed to reduce it from -£2,000 to -£1,000 so not TOO bad. I have a decent job - the problem is that I spend too much ;)

    ReplyDelete